If you are considering a move from Houston to Austin, Texas, it is crucial to consider a wide variety of factors that may impact your experience — from moving costs to Austin’s cost of living.
In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about moving from Houston to Austin, including going over some of Austin’s best neighborhoods and advantages as a city. Keep reading to learn how to choose a moving company for your next move!
How Far Is Houston to Austin
Austin is located just to the west of Houston, roughly 165 miles or around 2 hours and 45 minutes by car. Along with individual car travel, many bus routes travel to and from Houston and Austin.
Both Houston and Austin have airports, with nonstop flights taking around 50 minutes to an hour and a half. The airports in Houston are the George Bush Intercontinental Airport and the William P. Hobby Airport, while the airport in Austin is the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.
Reasons to Move to Austin Texas
There are many reasons why you should consider a move to Texas capital city. Austin is a vibrant city with a ton of community, cultural flare, and things to do.
Some of the best reasons to move to Austin include:
- Employment Opportunities: Austin is currently ranked number third in all of the U.S. for employment opportunities, according to a recent report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Good Schools: Austin has many excellent school districts that excel in both academics and athletics. Some of the best school districts in Austin include Eanes ISD and Lake Travis ISD.
- Austin Affordability: Although Austin is a little bit higher in cost of living than other cities in the U.S., it makes up for it with job and career growth opportunities. Plus, with so many different neighborhoods, it’s easier to find the right area within your budget.
- Outdoor Activities: Austin has one of the most beautiful natural environments all around, offering many awesome outdoor adventures. From hiking trails and swimming holes to bike trails and boat rentals, Austin has it all.
- Food: Austin’s food and restaurant scene is alive with the flavors of southern comfort food, barbecue, and TexMex. With many both traditional restaurants and modern food trucks, Austin has something for everyone’s tastes.
- Music Festivals: Austin is home to many famous music festivals, including the well-known Austin City Limits Music Festival.
Best Neighborhoods in Austin
When it comes to the neighborhoods in Austin, there are many good ones to choose from.
If you want a more lively urban experience, you should look into the Downtown neighborhood or Hyde Park. For a more family-friendly and chilled vibe, look into Old Enfield or Triangle State.
It may also be your time to check out the neighborhood rating and review site Niche. Here you can find detailed breakdowns of all the best features of a certain neighborhood including schools, diversity, nightlife, and more.
Moving From Houston to Austin
If you are planning a move from Houston to Austin, it is important to think about what additional costs you may face along with signing a new lease or beginning a new mortgage.
These costs include:
- Transportation Costs: One of your biggest considerations is how you will get there. Not only do you need transportation for yourself but you also need a way to move your belongings as well.
- Shipping & Fuel: If you choose to ship your furniture and belongings, you will need to account for the shipping costs. Comparatively, if you choose to transport your belongings yourself, you will need to consider fuel and gas prices.
- Moving Insurance: Lots of things can go wrong when you move. Having moving insurance ensures you and your belongings are protected.
Types of Movers
Another key consideration when making a move from Houston to Austin is what your different moving service options are. In general, there are 3 main choices to pick from:
1. Full-Service Moving Companies
Full-service moving companies tend to be the most expensive option but also offer you the most convenience. Moving can be a real hassle, especially if you do not have much help for moving large pieces of furniture.
With a full-service moving company, you get all the support you need in your move from Houston to Austin — from packing and unpacking your belongings to handling transportation.
2. Shipping Containers
For many people who choose to move between cities, they don’t mind packing and unpacking their belongings themselves. However, the problem becomes not wanting to drive a large rental truck that you may have little experience driving.
In this case, shipping containers are a great option. You can rent or purchase a shipping container for affordable rates and have your belongings shipped directly to you for your convenience.
3. Using Rental Trucks
The third option is to rent a moving truck that you will drive yourself. This is typically the most affordable option but definitely not the most convenient.
When you opt for a rental moving truck, always make sure to pay a little extra for renter’s insurance. No matter how safely you drive, you have no control of those around you on the road, and having to pay for rental truck repairs is most certainly an extra cost you do not want to accrue.
What to Look For In A Moving Company
If your choice is to work with a full-service moving company, there are a few key characteristics that indicated a great moving company. These include:
- Positive Reviews: A customer review will tell you more about the quality of a service than a salesman ever will. Companies with a majority of positive reviews are likely the more trustworthy and more experienced options.
- Flexible Pricing: You should avoid companies that are not transparent with their pricing models and don’t consider your budget. Finding a company with flexible pricing will help you get the exact service you need.
- Insurance Options: Always look for a company that offers some sort of insurance option for your belongings. As stated above, moving can be unpredictable, and insurance can help keep you safe in case anything goes awry.
Final Thoughts: The Cost of Moving From Houston to Austin
In general, moving from one city to another can cost you between $1,000 to $3,000 at least.
If you opt for using a rental truck, this will have the cheapest base price. However, you must consider what gas prices are like and how much gas the truck consumes to truly estimate the cost of this method.
For full-service moving companies or shipping containers, you will likely see more stable and straightforward pricing. Plus, you will have the added convenience of having all transportation challenges handled for you.
We wish you the best of luck with your move!